Visit us in the quaint hamlet of Myrtle Station, ON at: 9585 Baldwin St. N. (905)655-4858
(17.8km north of 401 exit 410. Look for the green house with the red roof a few doors north of the Myrtle Station railroad tracks)

Saturday, January 4, 2020

And another classic, Patons

I am knitting little cardigans for the mission work at Grace Lutheran Church in Oshawa. It's such a joy to knit portable and petite. With confidence I can declare the cardi only requires one 100gram ball. Two could make the entire layette, but it's just cardigans we need for the project.
I have knit Cabin Fever's excellent 606 Top Down, No Sew Buttons Cardigan many, many times, so I was delighted to find a similar new born sized top-down in my Aunt's Beehive Book. There is yet  another top-down design included in the book as a matinee jacket. Aunt Joan knit the design below from the same book for my daughter Veronica, in 1980's orange. It was the first time I heard the expression Dolman Sleeve. I remember it being much easier dress her because of the stretch in the armholes. Knitting wisdom for new mom's and their babies.
This top-down design has one button and the tweedy yarn for my first cardi is only slightly thicker than vintage Beehive Astra. Even though 100 grams was going to be plenty I used turquoise it is for the collar, for spark.
The first time I make something is the opportunity to learn the most (i.e. make the most mistakes). I am ready to make a second one (and a third) before the year is out, making a home for some of the groovy single buttons that have lingered in my stash for a (few) years.


No comments:

Post a Comment