Visit us in the quaint hamlet of Myrtle Station, ON at: 9585 Baldwin St. N. (905)655-4858
(17.8km north of 401 exit 410. Look for the green house with the red roof a few doors north of the Myrtle Station railroad tracks)

Friday, March 21, 2014

knitters speed dating!

At the April Durham handknitting guild meeting (7 pm, second Wednesday of the month at the downtown Whitby Public Library) we are hosting our first yarn tasting, courtesy of the nice folks at Estelle Designs and Sales.

Rather like speed dating for knitters, there are 15 unique yarns to sample, and we are preparing for 15 fiber loving participants, plus a gift for each knitter from Estelle, plus a special door prize draw!

Byron fashioned this cool niddy noddy out of half inch plastic pipe for us, quote "for under five bucks with tax!". Byron made me one years ago from copper pipe, but I could not find it. A niddy noddy is used for measuring yarn, and making skeins. I have made small skeins that will hold the yarn labels, so the participants will know which yarn they are sampling.

In the process of making the kits I have decided to sew fabric bags. I found this nice flowery fabric in my stash that reminds me spring will come. I think Mary from the guild gave it to me years ago.

Almost ready for date night! The whole experience makes me feel like one of Santa's elves. I am well acquainted with my quarter inch sewing machine foot now.

Next I will be knitting my own samples before date night. I have some patterns to share which I believe will be perfect for getting acquainted with this cool assortment of fibre.

No comments:

Post a Comment