Visit us in the quaint hamlet of Myrtle Station, ON at: 9585 Baldwin St. N. (905)655-4858
(17.8km north of 401 exit 410. Look for the green house with the red roof a few doors north of the Myrtle Station railroad tracks)

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Modular Knitting

This lovely waistcoat is a pattern I have been thinking about for a long time. Hayfield 4299, originally designed to use the yarn "Cotton Rich DK" a blend of cotton and acrylic.
In my archive, (which title I bestow to yarns I have treasured for over 20 years), my goodness, I hold some lovely Mandarin Classic, Pingouin Tweed, Avanti and a precious scrap of Noro silk.
Now is the time to make this waistcoat, one square a day, and as my mum used to say..."Every Mickle Maks' a Muckle" It has become the morning mediation.
Hayfield 4299 is a classic style of written pattern, in columns, requiring a particular kind of focus. To make progress even more likely, I have made further modifications to my working space. First I photocopied the pattern.
I cut each unique section of the pattern apart and pasted them on to index cards
The main and most important stitch pattern is on pink cards.
I taped only the pink cards (main motif) into a continuous strip, leaving an eighth of an inch between each card to create a sort of hinge effect and help the cards fold better.
Then I used a colouring pencil to highlight the two rows within the pattern that I notice required more focus on my part.
Here are all the cards ready to pack in an envelope for a tidy or travel.
Another modification I made is to begin and end with waste yarn in a clearly contrasting colour, all the better to graft the pieces together my dear. Maybe I will use a completely different yarn.
Byron made this handy very Canadian yarn holder for me.
Practice make progress as Brandy Agerbeck says, and it is so true, many thanks Brandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment