Visit us in the quaint hamlet of Myrtle Station, ON at: 9585 Baldwin St. N. (905)655-4858
(17.8km north of 401 exit 410. Look for the green house with the red roof a few doors north of the Myrtle Station railroad tracks)

Friday, March 23, 2018

Look To Norway - Book Review

I do like making hats, especially this one in classic Sandnes Peer Gynt. Just to play with colour for short periods of time works for me. We can send you a PDF of this pattern if you like, just send us an email.
To my surprise and delight, in these August days of my knitting career, I found this wonderful book by at the local library by Trond Anfinnsen has done exactly that in the delightful Hat Heads book, published in 2009.
The fundamental reason I am a knitter gets delightfully validated in this book.
Choose and knit for a specific person, reflecting affectionately as you design on physical attributes as well as character. There is also nice clear guidance about design and shape.
I am reminded of "The 5 Love Languages" another library book I recently enjoyed.
Trond writes beautifully about the meaning and purpose of knitting, especially in Norway. He includes a totally unexpected, yet relevant story about  David Aleksander Toska, the bank robber who wore a traditional sweater during his trial to gain sympathy. The power sweater, my goodness!
Trond knits each hat, then he is photographed by his friend photographer Klaus Nilsen Skrudland and presents us with portfolio in the book. Portraits both of himself and his recipients.
For example his mom in a cheerful red and white spiral pattern.
His friends (here is Ingrid in a fetching blocky rib, checker effect)
and acquaintances (Oddvar in a snowflake star pattern)
Just look at how the blue matches her eyes (Tonje in stripes and fish with a rolled brim) 
Knitting in the context of relationship! This quote from the book made me think of so many of the knitters and knitting recipients I have had the pleasure and privilege to meet over the years.

The Joy of the Give

"Throughout the project, and particularly once my hats reached a certain level of quality, people started asking, “Why don’t you start selling your hats?” My gut feeling has always been not to sell them, but to give them away. It simply gives me a good feeling to give gifts and receive gratitude and surprise in return. The simple fact that, one; you have made the gift yourself, two: that is has obviously taken a considerable amount of time to make, and three: that the gift is specially designed for the now who receives it, makes it extra special to give. the receiver will know that you have actually been sitting for hours working for and thinking about him or her. It’s great."

Tronde uses Sandnes yarn, just like me, Smart and Alfa.
He also uses lovely Dalegarn which has come and gone in the Canadian market a few times over the years.
I found a youtube channel about camping in Norway by a fellow named Martin, titled Norwegian Woods  he wears a spectacular sweater in his winter videos. I especially enjoy how thoughtful and relaxed he is as a presenter, and love the sweater. Just a guess on my part, but I think the cuffs are reinforced with suede, the shoulders either suede or fabric. Certainly though, the sweater is a magnificent work of art. It makes me super happy to see it in action. If anyone can tell me more about the trimmings on Martin's sweater feel free to get in touch by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment