Visit us in the quaint hamlet of Myrtle Station, ON at: 9585 Baldwin St. N. (905)655-4858
(17.8km north of 401 exit 410. Look for the green house with the red roof a few doors north of the Myrtle Station railroad tracks)

Monday, November 18, 2013

Weight a minute

You will remember the Handwarmer Family pattern from a while ago. Today I thought I would share  samples I worked on in order to illustrate the usefulness of the Pocket Scale from Lee Valley tools. I like these handwarmers to cosy up my leather gloves when I ride my bike in the fall.


Sometines, in the knitting life one wonders if there is sufficient yarn to complete a project. My strategy for going ahead with confidence is to use a very sensitive scale to measure the project.


In the handwarmer case I weigh the first one I knit: 9.5 grams. This is Bravo Jaquard acrylic DK.


Then the remaining portion of yarn, and yes I have 14.9, grams enough to complete the pair!


This pair is made of pure superwash wool double knitting in the smallest size; 9.4 grams. This is the Kaffee Fassett Regia DK.


I have 17.9 grams to finish the pair. Another use for using weight is to rummage through the stash and check out other potential candidates for hand warmers and also what size will be the most efficient.
Of course the fiber will make a difference, for example, cotton is heavier than acrylic, so you want to be sure to compare apples to apples


For a 3rd size I will need 13.8 grams per hand warmer. 13.8 plus 13.8 = 27.6, so out of a 50 gram ball I could likely make a second pair of the 1st size. (9.4 plus 9.4 =18.8. it will be close)



For much larger items I have asked permission of the cashier at the local supermarket as they have a really large and senisitive scale. Lee Valley also carries an excellent scale we use to check our suitcases before we travel. I will give it a try with a sweater

No comments:

Post a Comment